Thursday, July 12, 2012

FACES Rally and the trip home...


Day Four: I rode in early to Upland with activity everywhere and rally co-founder Darin Haight MC’ing from the beer garden. Chief rally volunteer, Tammy Linner, quickly scooped me up and set me to task –direct the bikes to the center of the road, in an orderly, straight manner – for the promo photo she would take from up high on the grain conveyor.  That was a lot easier said than done but was a great way to meet the riders. After the photo it was time to ride.

 I picked up two biker buddies, Jeff and Kyle, who proceeded to introduce me to the straight roads of Nebraska. Thanks guys –It was a blast to ride with you! The run took us through straight roads and corn fields and ended back in Upland where the band Cross Eyed Mary cranked things up. Trophies were given and donations were made and it ended with a huge 4th of July in June fireworks show.  Wow what a day! I went back to my room with a huge smile on my face and in my heart. 

Day Five: I rose early and rolled down the road towards Kansas. My goal was to make good time to Grassy, Missouri, and take a few days rest before heading back to Chattanooga. 

I hit a rabbit and with sadness watched him tumble down the road in my mirror [it could have been a deer but it wasn’t and I am still here]; I got a speeding ticket while lost and Mr. Trooper graciously set me on course [he only charged me with 10 over when it could have been 12, which supposedly saved me money and insurance rate hike – yes I thanked him dang it!]; I was assaulted by a cup full of soda while riding in traffic by a sassy young lady who thought she was cute. I was furious because she was littering and then I was mad that she threw something at me out of her window! To her chagrin, she was in a company truck with the name and number on the door. I quickly took note and had a good conversation with the owner [a rider himself] a few days later. He assured me he would take care of it. [I could have swerved and wrecked but I didn’t].  

I arrived home some 2500ish miles later with a sense of myself and my limits – or should I say lack of limits. I refuse to believe anything other than, “If I think I can – I can.”

See all the photos at www.FACESrally.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment